Monday, February 25, 2019

Hereditary



Disturbing...


Downright horrific...


Between Hereditary, Sinister and Insidious. These are the best American Horror out there in the past oh I dunno  8 years.

These movies are brilliantly scary in their own right. But the story of Hereditary to me is the strongest.

I understood why people talked about this movie the way they do. I am still thinking about this film as it is fresh. And I pray nightmares don't occur tonight.

Spoilers.

Things are in the shadows in the film. Look closely.

Disturbing fucking deaths. Not a bunch of deaths but disturbing nonetheless.

Pure dread from start to finish. I shivered and I lost count of how many times. I didn't shiver in Insidious I just cussed. I did not shiver in Sinister I just kind of got the eerie feeling. This movie oh god have mercy, shivering throughout. I am a horror buff I'd say. Probably having watched now more than 50 horror movies, ranging from Khorror. (YIPPIE YIKES K_HORROR IS THE PINNACLE) to American Horror Classics (Halloween, Carrie, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Rosemary's Baby) to Spanish Horror (REC) to modern Am Horror( the Witch, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Exorcism of Emily Rose, )

Paranormal Activity makes you look in the frame at what is behind. It is brilliant. This movie is so fucking chilling. I am not sure if you count Sixth Sense as horror but the movie still haunts me with the lasting images. This movie Hereditary has a very similar effect.

The Cult. Yes, there is some freaky Satanism going on throughout the film. The cult wanted to have a vessel, a la the boy (Alex Wolff -who is brilliant) be a demon lord named Painos. Therefore , Painos pulled the strings (theory) from the beginning with Charlie some allege. But I am not so sure.

Unpredictable!

Relatable. Not for me. But people that I know that have some of the symptoms in the film. Maybe that is what makes it truly freaky, is people really have DID, Schizophrenia and other mental illnesses. Sure it could be a metaphor for our world descending into madness or the hereditariness that you experience from your parents. Just theories here.

I like reading the film with the demon variety. New modern horror likes to touch on demons and the devil. It is horrifying for our society. But a great article touched on this very topic of https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2018/02/how_a_nationwide_panic_about_d.html

or deemed Satanic Panic of the 70's and 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment